Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Cup of Cold Water

Are you thirsty? This time of year--in the American Midwest--we're not thirsty as often as we are in the summer, but after shoveling snow or chasing around the house? Sounds good.

Life can leave us a little parched, dry-mouthed, panting even. We made it this far, but looking back our journey feels insignificant. small, shallow. Looking at the world around us increases that sense of worthlessness. What then? Instead of looking out, look up. Look to the One who saw you in eternity past, who knew you and called you by name. Look to the One who left glory and clothed himself in the flesh of a human body--then gave it all up. For you. That is your worth. That is your value. Not you, per se, but Christ.

Here's some perspective; a cup of cold water for your day:

"...and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed. For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls" (1 Peter 2:24-25).

"And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the defense of my life;
Whom shall I dread?
When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh,
My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell.
Though a host encamp against me,
My heart will not fear;
Though war arise against me,
In spite of this I shall be confident.
One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord
And to meditate in His temple.
For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle;
In the secret place of His tent He will hide me;
He will lift me up on a rock.
And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me,
And I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord. (Psalm 27:1-6)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share your experiences, thoughts, questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by.