Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Light

Perhaps I'm the only one who gets irritated with conflict, angry when there is a lack of justice and righteousness, overcome with uncontrollable outcomes of evil? 

Our world continues to experience global, national, and personal conflict, giving rise to anxiety, depression, anger, sleepless nights, heated discussions. But I must remind myself this is normal. This is our world. Sin does that--it works death in relationships, countries, nations. 

The remedy--the only remedy--is Light. Light does not hammer darkness. It cannot be squelched or captured. Light dispels darkness. Light is. By its nature, light exposes and overcomes darkness.

Jesus is the Light of the world. He has given us Truth to dispel rumors, evil, wickedness, and danger. But I cannot drag others into the light. I cannot force them to open their eyes, nor can I make them see what they refuse to acknowledge. I can only live in the light and welcome those who wish to join me there. 

My greatest struggle, then, is not the darkness of others; it is the darkness in my own heart. The sin that crouches at the door of my heart, ready to engage in battle; ready to kill, steal, and destroy. My only hope is the full armor of God. I have no ability to withstand my own sinful self. I have no desire to turn away from being god in my life and others. I have no hope of turning aside from personal autonomy in and of myself. I, myself, must surrender to the holy, righteous, convicting work of the Spirit and open the door to my heart, welcoming the exposure of thought, motive, and deed, resting in His grace. Confident in mercy. 

And as His gentle, cleansing hand cleanses my heart and life, I can stand in His armor, ready to stand against evil--not charging in--but standing, armed with truth, righteousness, salvation, peace, and the Word of God. Arrayed with light. Dispelling darkness. Loving in the midst of the greatest battle ever fought, dependent in prayer. Trusting my Commander in Chief. Minding my own business and leading a quiet life. Failing. Falling. And standing. Every. Time. Because of God's faithfulness.

And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,  and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will. (2 Timothy 2:24-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share your experiences, thoughts, questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by.