Friday, April 1, 2016

Stay in Your Lane

"Why do I have to put on napkins? Carl's not doing his job."
"What did I ask you to do?"
"Put on napkins."
"Are you doing your job?"

Then I remembered these verses, "Peter...said to Jesus, 'But Lord, what about this man?' Jesus said to him, 'If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.'” (John 21:20-21)

That's the story my friend, Jess, shared the other night and it's stayed with me. It's so easy for me to blame other people for my failure; to get distracted by someone else and not do my part. As another friend says, "Stay in your lane." As soon as I start worrying about someone else or trying to "fix" them, I've crossed the line and am headed for a collision.

http://pretraveller.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/canstockphoto10852476.jpg
Jesus said, "That's a none-ya" (none-of-your-business). "You. Follow me."

For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.  But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” 
Matthew 12:34-37

For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written:

“As I live, says the Lord,
Every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall confess to God.”

So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.  Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way. Romans 14:7-13

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. 
Hebrews 4:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share your experiences, thoughts, questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by.