Saturday, November 30, 2013

All Good Things

We met in a local bar, which is a bit out of my comfort zone. It was early evening and we met month after month to plan our high school reunion. One evening, I don't remember the particular conversation or incident, a verse from James came to mind and my classmates took on a different hue.



"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of Lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning" (James 1:17).

It struck me that each of us was experiencing good things--maybe not things we'd brag about, maybe not dream homes or vacations--but each of us had reasonable health, comfort, full bellies off and on. Each of us enjoyed sunshine and rain, the love of others, and a sense of purpose.

But one day, one day in eternity, not all of us would enjoy good things. Some of the people I was meeting with would, apart from knowing Jesus, lose all good things. They would never again sense comfort. Acceptance. Physical satisfaction. The sun's rays on a winter day. A mother's love. Because in eternity, apart from God, there is no good thing.

From that point on I prayed more earnestly for my classmates and sought opportunities to share Christ. Although they were unaware of their desperate need, I was not. And it still colors my days.

If you know Jesus Christ as your own--you fully trust that He paid your sin/death-debt--you have the confidence of experiencing God's grace here and now, and ever-so-much-more-so in eternity. Knowing that creates an intense burden for those who do not. Love them now. Be there. Share the best, the most, the only good thing we need: Jesus. Not because one or the other of us is better, but because neither of us is. My desperate need has been quelled. My longing and emptiness has been filled. The good things I taste now are only a tester of what's ahead. All because of Jesus.

I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel;
My heart also instructs me in the night seasons.
I have set the Lord always before me;
Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices;
My flesh also will rest in hope.
For You will not leave my soul in Sheol,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16:7-11

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share your experiences, thoughts, questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by.