Monday, July 29, 2013

Influence and Becoming

"Why did you decide to become a hygienist?" I asked as the suction was removed from my lips.
"That's a good question. I guess I had a good relationship with my dentist growing up..."
"And hygienist?"
"And, yes. And I like to help people. It was a good fit."
I thought about that for a long time. She chose a profession based on repeated, positive experiences and a trusting, safe relationship.  That's very cool.
And as I thought about her life choice, I wondered if anyone would want to know Jesus because they knew me. Do others have a trusting, safe, positive relationship with me and want to know my Savior? Or do my words and actions repulse people?
The answer? The true answer? Yes and no. Some of each. And it's something the Lord is making me more and more aware of. To be like Jesus is to be kind, approachable, patient, understanding. At all times. And I am not.
Oh, to be more like Jesus. And, oh, to stop and apologize and ask forgiveness in those moments--those countless moments--and even afterward, when I am not like Jesus. When I am not patient. Or kind. Or loving. Or approachable. Or....
How thankful I am for God's patience and lovingkindness with me! And how incredibly wonderful that God doesn't need me--He calls and justifies and sanctifies--but chooses to use me. Ah, the wonders of God!

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:31-11:1 NKJV)

For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
“Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth”; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. (1 Peter 2:21-25 NKJV)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share your experiences, thoughts, questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by.