Thursday, November 17, 2011

Life Among The Who's Who

No fancy introduction to grab your attention today, just a simple thought from my personal Bible reading that will refresh and refocus my ministry--maybe yours as well.

Mark 9:34-37: But they kept silent, for on the road they had disputed among themselves who would be the greatest. 35And He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.” 36Then He took a little child and set him in the midst of them. And when He had taken him in His arms, He said to them, 37“Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me.”

Impression:  The disciples got carried away with their own importance even as Jesus talked about His suffering, death, and resurrection.  We could argue that, in church, we don't disagree about who's the greatest.  We know it's wrong and we have this example to correct us.  But we still do it.  Often we tweak it and change it the slightest bit.  We won't say "I'm better than you," but in our own words (over and over!) we share, "I'm busier than you."  We may not put others down in their presence, but we are quick to compare the importance of what we do and how much time we spend doing it.  What would Jesus do?  In this case he took a child—who accomplishes no adult task, carries no adult responsibilities, boasts no achievements—and directs His disciples to receive such a one. Ouch.  Is that where I put my value?  Is that where I invest my energy, time, abilities, and resources?  In those who cannot repay, in those who have no worldly value, in those who are often overlooked? 


Application:  When life becomes more about how busy I am or what I am accomplishing than Who I’m serving, it’s out of balance.  It’s not about the what, it’s about the Who.  And when Jesus is first, when I know Him, depend on Him, and desire to serve Him, the other who’s of life will fall into place  (Matthew 6:33).  The what’s of life will happen.  The when and the where won’t matter.  And the how?  With my eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith, denying myself, taking up my cross and following Him (Hebrews 12:2, Mark 8:34).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share your experiences, thoughts, questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by.