Friday, October 3, 2008

Serving the Enemy

My morning reading today was in Daniel. We have a discipleship class at our church called "Growing Deeper Roots" which is a three-year curriculum focused on intentional disciple-making. Our women's group is completing its third year of study (we were short-changed last March and will draw to a close soon). For the period of time we meet, we synchronize our daily Bible readings.

I came to the end of Daniel chapter one with a new realization: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah gave up the king's food and applied themselves to a grueling three years training, only to be the most suited young men to serve their enemy: "The king talked with them, and out of them all not one was found like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah; so they entered the king's personal service" (Daniel 1:19).

They would not overthrow this government that had laid siege to their homeland and families, that had taken them captive and physically mutilated them. They would not work covertly to undermine the integrity of this new world leader. They would not corroborate to free prisoners or support efforts at home. They gave themselves fully to the service of the king. An ungodly king, an ungodly king of a wicked nation, an ungodly king of a wicked nation that practiced evil and sought to take over the world.

Their calling was to love the Lord, their God, with all their heart, soul, mind and strength. God's purpose included rescue and release, but not for seventy years. Within that time, God had plans and purposes that He would make known through His word and these servants. But until then, these young men were to serve their enemy to the best of their God-given abilities with the strength that God provided.

When I believe that God controls circumstances (Lamentations 2:17) and that He directs the heart of the king (Proverbs 21:1), then I can apply myself to fully living out my devotion to Him despite my circumstances. My concern does not rest on changing what is happening around me, but in serving God wholly, trusting that He will use my service (regardless of its object) to glorify Himself and accomplish His will.

Am I mindful of world events? Certainly. Am I fearful of future calamity? At times. Should this affect my service? Not if my trust is in the Lord God, maker of heaven and earth. My submission to those in authority is not based on their merit, but on God's mandate and my devotion to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share your experiences, thoughts, questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by.